Saturday, October 9, 2010

Spoken Word: For I am a Poet, yes I am


"I dont understand while all these art people
gotta be so cliche, 
beign all gypsy and complaining when they dont get their way" 

So this is what i say...

you see i'm one of  those hippie kinds,
digging dreadlocks and those three bands
of green, yellow and red...
you cant come close to match the books i've read!
including the ones i've at least glanced at the covers..!

i dig those ladies with long flowy dresses,
burning incents in their rooms...
and playing bongo drums to set the mood...
i like sitting alone in random spots
trying hard to decipher codes and connect dots.
so i like people who think the same way
and who are able to hit the mark...
with.. every.. single.. dart..

i like lighting candles and watching the stars
but i'm not of of those that hang around empty bars,
nevertheless i've heard there are some deep souls there!
drinking their inner demons away while leaving their hearts to bear.
my heart goes out to the rebels fighting for freedom
whether from congo, tibet or the like the last Mohican.
those dudes and dudets who are over-zealous and expressive
pull at my heart strings when they get so pensive...
for i am a poet, yes i am...

i'm one of those artsy kinds that hangs native art on her walls
one of those people that rather talk about football, 
than actual play it!
i get high listening to incredible verses,
it takes me to my zone where i am nameless.
i am of those that nobodies lost in her own world,
thinking the world revolves around her,
and that she is the centre of the universe.

Predictably i believe in karma... and maybe also a lil bit of drama
and say things before i truly take time to think over them.
But i stongly believe that words are my weapons,
so dont come close or you might regret whatver happens.
I preach the "truth" to whoemever listens,
and i sing praises for rebels sticking it up to the man
for i am a poet, yes i am..!

so what if i'm cliche and do what is expected!
so what if i talk about myself, my pains and my life,
i dont see you coming up here and putting away your pride!
even if i may walk and talk and behave predictably,
even if recite poetry about that you've heard about so frequently...
i dont care!
for i am a poet yes i am..!

my shields are patterns of metaphors,
lines close together to confuse the predators...
my wings are of carefully sewn verses,
flying me higher and closer to the sun than Icarus...
for i am a poet thats what i am.
and i stick it up to the man.


~Competitive piece for October's KL Poetry Slam~

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails